If you are a native to Houston or have lived here for years, it will not surprise you to learn the city’s traffic is getting worse. Houston consistently ranks as a growing city. It is popular for its well-paying jobs and relatively low cost of living. Unfortunately, that means there are a lot of people trying to get to and from work each day, leading to congestions, delays, and accidents.
According to a study by Texas A&M Transportation Institute, as a Houston driver, you face an average of 61 hours of delay during your commute every year, tying Houston in 8th place with Chicago for the greatest congestion delays. These delays cost you and other commuters an extra $1,490 every year due to extra fuel consumption, placing Houston in 6th place for the cost of congestion.
It is only natural then that Houston traffic apps have become the saving grace for commuters. Various apps offer real-time information about delays, enabling you to choose the safest and fastest route through traffic.
Helpful Houston Traffic Apps
- KHOU11 Houston News and Weather: This app provides a great deal of information other than news, including traffic times and cameras for the Houston area.
- ABC 13 Houston: This is another multi-functional app. In addition to your morning’s top headlines, you can also see your morning traffic through an interactive traffic map.
- Houston TranStar: Get real-time travel conditions in the Houston, Texas region with information directly from Houston TranStar as well as other relevant sources. The app provides travelers with travel time and speed information from roadway sensors, traffic camera images, incident locations, and construction schedules to aid in trip planning. Users can also become a data source for TranStar by reporting incidents using the app.
- INRIX Traffic Maps & GPS: You can check traffic cameras for real-time information as well as individual traffic reports from other users about accidents, police activity, and hazards on the road for your saved routes or any new route you input. This has a navigation option with live traffic rerouting to help you avoid delays. If someone is waiting for your arrival, you can share your estimated arrival time with them.
- Waze: This is another app that uses community input to alert other drivers to accidents, road issues, and police activity like speed traps. The more you contribute to the community, the higher ranking you will earn. Waze has a GPS feature with automatic rerouting when necessary. It also works well with other apps like Facebook or your calendar.
- Google Maps: This is well-known and used for a reason. Google Maps is a solid app to use when you are looking for the fastest route or want to avoid certain types of routes like those with tolls. The map also highlights areas with dense and stand still traffic.
- Sigalert: This is a relatively standard traffic map except that it uses state highway patrol data. This gives users more reliable maps, which users can click and zoom in on. The app also boasts 24/7 road coverage so you know about traffic conditions and speeds no matter when you commute.
While these apps speed up your commute, they also serve a greater purpose. They enable you to avoid traffic and conditions that could cause accidents.
Was There an Accident?
As an experienced commuter, you know there may come a time that you are in an accident. It does not matter how much you check the traffic and avoid congestion or construction. Other people’s negligence behind the wheel can cost you time, energy, and health. If you were in a car accident, do not hesitate to reach out to the experienced Houston car accident lawyers of The Krist Law Firm, P.C. We have years of experience helping individuals recover the maximum compensation for their injuries through insurance settlements or winning personal injury claims in court.
For more information, call us at (281) 283-8500 and schedule a free initial consultation.