Call today @ 281-283-8500 | No Recovery, No Fee
Call today: 281-283-8500

Houston Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer

If you or a loved one was the victim of a drunk driving car accident, call us right away. Recovering compensation after any car accident in Houston can be challenging. When you believe the other driver was intoxicated, it adds another layer of complexity. When a drunk driving accident lawyer with our firm handles your case, we use evidence of the at-fault driver’s impairment to demonstrate negligence and recover maximum compensation.

Give The Krist Law Firm, P.C. a call at (281) 283-8500 or contact us online to schedule your free consultation. We’re here to help you and your family after a drunk driving crash. There are no up-front costs, and you owe nothing unless you win compensation.

Were You Hit By a Drunk Driver?

If you or your loved one was the victim of a drunk driving accident, call us right away. There’s no excuse for someone getting behind the wheel after having a few drinks.

At The Krist Law Firm, P.C., one of our drunk driving accident attorneys will help you through the claims process. We’ll begin by thoroughly investigating the crash and gathering evidence of the other driver’s impairment and fault.

We’ll guide you through the insurance claim process too. Texas is an at-fault insurance state, which means the driver that causes the accident is financially responsible. Through the drunk driver’s auto insurance, we can recover compensation for your injuries.

Sometimes, we’ll recommend filing a drunk driving lawsuit. If the drunk driving crash caused you serious injury or catastrophic injury, the value of your claim might be more than the driver’s policy limit. By filing a personal injury or wrongful death claim, we can fight for an additional settlement to fully compensate you.

Texas DWI Laws

It’s illegal to drive in Texas while under the influence of drugs or alcohol or when your blood alcohol concentration is at or above the legal limit – which is 0.08%. If the driver was in a commercial vehicle, then their legal limit was 0.04%.

The Drunk Driver May Face Charges

Drunk driving is a crime, and the at-fault driver in your accident will likely face charges. The level of the charge and potential punishment depends on the circumstances. Whatever charge they face, it’s a separate case from your compensation claim. Your claim is a civil matter, while the DWI charges are a criminal matter.

But you don’t have to wait for the outcome of the DUI case. Also, the driver might beat the DUI charges. That doesn’t mean you won’t recover compensation. We can still use whatever evidence we have to prove they drove negligently or recklessly and caused you harm.

Your Rights After a Drunk Driving Accident

When another driver’s careless or reckless conduct causes you harm, you have the right to demand compensation. Talk with our DUI accident lawyers about the best way to recover the max for your injuries.

DUI Injury Compensation

After a drunk driver hits you, you may be entitled to compensation for your:

In some circumstances, Texas courts allow punitive damages, which are meant to punish the wrongdoer. You might win punitive damages if you can prove the other driver is guilty of acting recklessly or with malice.

Auto Insurance Claims Involving a Drunk Driver

The most common way to win a settlement after being hit by a drunk driver is through auto insurance. Notify your insurance provider of a crash right away. They can communicate with the at-fault driver’s insurer.

If the other driver’s insurer wants to talk with you, politely decline until you consult a lawyer. A drunk driving accident lawyer will prepare you to answer questions or give a statement.

We also are highly experienced in dealing with insurance companies that deny claims, drag their feet, or only offer lowball settlements. We’ll gather evidence to prove their policyholder caused a drunk driving crash through an extensive independent investigation. We’ll also be prepared to prove the extent and severity of your injuries to demand max compensation.

File a DUI Personal Injury Lawsuit

After a car accident with a drunk driver, you might find out the other driver was uninsured. Or you might learn the value of your claim is a lot higher than the other driver’s insurance policy limit. For these reasons and others, we might recommend filing a personal injury lawsuit.

Though most car accident claims settle outside of court, a lawsuit can help us gather more evidence. It also can show the insurance company you’re serious about your recovery. You also might need to go to trial to win the compensation you deserve.

Litigation can be intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be with the help of the right lawyer. With decades of experience and some of the most significant recoveries in Texas, let The Krist Law Firm represent you and guide you step by step.

Was the Other Driver Over-Served?

Texas has a law called the Dram Shop Act, making a business responsible for a drunk driver’s actions. A bar, club, tavern, restaurant, or another establishment that serves alcohol provides alcohol is not allowed to serve a visibly intoxicated patron. If they do, you may be able to hold that business liable if that patron hits you and causes you injuries.

After a drunk driving crash, we thoroughly investigate where the driver was drinking. If they were at a business, we explore how much the driver consumed their and their behavior. We may find evidence that the bartender, waiter, or another staff member should’ve noticed the patron’s intoxication and cut them off.

We’ll explain when it’s possible to sue a business for over-serving the drunk driver and the compensation you might win.

Was the Drunk Driving Accident Fatal?

If you’re mourning the loss of your spouse, child, or parent because of a Houston drunk driver, talk with The Krist Law Firm, P.C. about pursuing wrongful death compensation, including:

  • Funeral and burial expenses
  • Loss of decedent’s financial contributions
  • Loss of decedent’s care, support, maintenance, advice, and counsel
  • Loss of decedent’s love, companionship, comfort, and society
  • Loss of inheritance you may have received if your loved one lived longer

Drunk Driving Accident FAQs

A drunk driver hit me. Can I sue? Possibly, yes. But you should talk with a drunk driving accident lawyer about the best strategy to win compensation. It might help to file a lawsuit right away. It might not.

What should I do if a drunk driver totaled my car? You should notify your auto insurance company right away. You can work with them to get your vehicle replaced. They will communicate with the other driver’s insurance, or you can rely on your collision insurance. If you also suffered bodily injuries, talk with a personal injury lawyer right away.

The drunk driver was acquitted. Can I still recover compensation? Yes, your personal injury claim is a separate civil matter from the criminal DUI case. Call a personal injury lawyer in Houston for help.

What should I do if a drunk driver hit me? Immediately after an accident, call the police. You might not be able to talk to the other driver to get their name, information, and insurance information. But, it should be available later on the police report. After the accident, see a doctor, notify your insurance, and call a drunk driving accident lawyer for advice.

Let The Krist Law Firm, P.C. Help You

Being hurt in any car accident is frustrating. When you find out the other driver was intoxicated, you may get angry at their irresponsibility. Let your emotions guide you to the right place: calling an experienced Houston drunk driving accident attorney. Get an experienced and aggressive attorney to fight for your recovery.

Contact The Krist Law Firm, P.C. online or at (281) 283-8500. We offer 100% free consultations and zero up-front costs. We only get paid when you recover compensation.