Houston Back Injury Lawyers
Neck, back and spinal cord injuries can be some of the most devastating and long-lasting injuries incurred by victims of accidents and other incidents. The most fundamental functions of the human body are hugely dependent on the spinal column, back muscles and tendons, and neck bones and foundation. An injury to any one of these components can compound the original injury by causing problems in other parts of the body.
These injuries are the most common type of injuries that occur in truck, car, automobile, bicycle, or motorcycle accidents. We often see them in people who have been involved in maritime accidents on offshore oil drilling platforms, ships, or dockside. These types of neck, back, and spinal cord injuries are sometimes very difficult to treat and can lead to devastating consequences, often requiring help from a qualified Houston back injury lawyer to receive the necessary care to recover. Therefore, it is imperative that you seek the best medical advice when you experience this kind of injury.
Houston back injury attorneys at The Krist Law Firm, P.C., have extensive experience in assessing and litigating cases involving injuries to the back, neck or spinal cord. We understand that accident victims and their families can experience serious and immediate hardship regarding their future. If the injured person can never work again due to a sustained neck, back or spinal cord injury, it can be physically, emotionally and financially devastating. However, you may have options for financial recovery and our lawyers can help.
Common Causes of Neck, Back and Spinal Cord Injuries
Neck, back and spinal cord injuries may be incurred during a wide variety of accidents, life events and workplace incidents. These may include:
- Car accidents
- Maritime accidents
- Construction accidents
- Injuries from falling objects
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Semi-truck and tractor-trailer accidents
- Dangerous and defective products
- Sports Injuries
- Premises liability – slip and fall, trip and fall, or products falling from shelves
- Other accidents that result in damage to the spine, neck, back or other neural systems
Common Neck, Back and Spinal Cord Injuries
Any type of accident has the potential to result in devastating neck and spinal cord injuries. The nature of neck, back and spinal cord injuries vary depending on the severity and location of the injury and the circumstances of the accident. These types of injuries can have lifelong consequences and should not be ignored.
Common neck, back, and spinal cord injuries may include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries — Unfortunately, traumatic brain injuries can be very serious, and it can sometimes take weeks after an accident to notice the symptoms. Family members and people close to the victim might notice behavioral changes or the accident victim might notice that simple tasks have become difficult to complete. Effects of a traumatic brain injury may include memory loss, inability to pay attention, loss of coordination or balance, loss of vision or hearing, depression, anxiety, headaches, nausea, seizures, or changes in personality.
- Spinal Cord Injuries — Spinal cord injuries can be life-altering, with effects such as paralysis and chronic, debilitating pain. Some victims may need long-term nursing care. Spinal cord injuries can be caused by nearly any kind of accident, including vehicle accidents and falls.
- Slipped, Herniated, Ruptured, or Bulging Discs — These four terms refer to a condition in which a disc in your spine becomes cracked or displaced and cushioning fluid leaks out. The fluid functions as a shock absorber, and when it leaks you can experience loss of mobility and pain. A slipped, herniated, ruptured, or bulging disc also may cause damage to surrounding nerves. This condition often requires surgery to correct.
What a Houston Back Injury Lawyer Can do for You
The spinal cord is a bundle of nerves that delivers messages between the brain and nearly all parts of the body. Therefore, spinal cord injuries have the ability to impair or destroy the mechanisms the brain uses to communicate with the body. The part of the body controlled by the spinal cord after a spinal cord injury occurs may not function as it used to. Many spinal cord injuries ultimately result in paralysis or physical limitations.
How a Neck Injury Lawyer Can Help
Some of the most serious injuries that affect the body in traumatic accidents are often found in the neck because of its location in the body. The neck sits between your torso and your skull, leaving it devastatingly vulnerable when accidents occur. Muscular pain, herniated discs, stretching or impingement can result in significant pain and often requires expensive medical treatment and physical therapy.
The consequences of a neck, back, or spinal cord injury may go beyond apparent physical damages. Adapting to life with a physical limitation, possibly in a wheelchair, is difficult. In the aftermath of an accident, victims and their families experience mental anguish. There are valid fears about how their injury may affect their life, their finances, their family and existing relationships, or their future. Anxiety and stress are normal.
If you have been the victim of an accident that resulted in trauma to your neck, back or spinal cord, contact the Houston back injury lawyers at The Krist Law Firm, P.C., today, especially if you are suffering from one of the following conditions:
- Quadriplegia: This is the complete paralysis of all four limbs.
- Quadriparesis: This is the partial paralysis of all four limbs.
- Paraparesis: This is the partial paralysis of the lower limbs.
- Paraplegia: This is the complete paralysis of the lower limbs.
Millions of people in the United States suffer serious injuries every year due to trauma sustained to their neck, back or spinal cord. However, a personal injury lawyer can help you obtain compensation to aid in your recovery and rebuild your life.
Treating Paraplegia Accidents and Spinal Cord Injuries
Neck, back, and spinal cord injuries can cause victims to experience a host of physical, cognitive, social, emotional and behavioral effects. Outcomes can vary greatly, ranging from complete recovery to permanent limitation or death.
Tests that may help diagnose a neck, back or spinal cord injury may include:
- Spinal X-rays
- CT or MRI or bone scans
- Electromyography, or EMG
Spurs that push against spinal nerves may appear in these tests. Any abnormal alignment of the spine may also reveal itself.
Depending on the severity of the neck, back or spinal cord injury, treatment can range from minimal physical intervention to more drastic steps including medications, emergency surgery, or surgery years later.
Other techniques may be employed for rehabilitation including physical therapy and occupational therapy. Emotional and psychological support may also be offered by a variety of community support services, which may include counseling or supported employment.
Contact a Houston Back Injury Lawyer Who Understands Your Case
At The Krist Law Firm, P.C., we understand that people dealing with neck, back, and spinal cord injuries need a lot of help. We have decades of experience handling these types of serious injury cases. Our lawyers understand what’s at stake for our clients and their families. We understand the challenges our clients face when trying to copy with a life-altering disability after an accident.
Our firm has secured many notable recoveries. We work closely and compassionately alongside our clients and their families so they can receive the care and compensation they justly deserve after suffering a serious injury.
To receive a free initial consultation, call the experienced Houston personal injury attorneys at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. today at 281-283-8500 . Our attorneys are focused on your recovery. We understand what it takes to get your life back after the results of a permanent injury.