Proving Fault in a Car Accident in Houston
Your primary concerns after a car accident involve anything that gets your life back on track and to how it normally was before the accident. This means seeking medical attention to address your injuries and contacting a skilled lawyer to recover compensation from the negligent party.
You can recover financial damages to help you with medical bills, daily expenses, and lost wages due to your accident injury. While an accident lawyer can help with proving fault after a car accident in Houston, there are numerous things that you should know about this process as well. The Houston car accident lawyers at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. have helped many victims after a devastating auto accident, and we know how to prove your case during this difficult time.
To speak with an experienced car crash lawyer today, call us at 281-283-8500 to schedule a free consultation.
Types Of Evidence After a Road Accident
No two traffic accidents are the same, and determining exactly what happened can be relatively easy or very difficult. Car accident claims are successful when the injury of the victim is directly tied to the negligent actions of another person. Your lawyer will need to review all of the evidence available to prove why you deserve compensation in your car accident case. The evidence that will be necessary in your case includes:
- Witness Statements – Write down a list of witnesses as soon as possible, and share this list and any witness contact information that you have with your auto collision lawyer.
- Photographs and Video – Be sure to take as many photos of the accident scene, damage to your vehicle, and your physical injuries. Your lawyer will also seek any relevant third party photos and security camera footage.
- Medical Records – The specific extent of your injuries will be a significant factor involved in determining the financial compensation that you need after an auto crash. Be sure to work closely with your medical professionals and ask many questions.
- Police Reports – The observations and analysis of law enforcement are crucial to proving fault. It’s important to establish if the police determined that a driver was violating the law immediately before the road traffic accident.
- Accident Reconstruction – A skilled auto accident lawyer will understand how to study accident reconstruction data, and use it to prove who was negligent in an automobile accident.
You Can Help Prove Who Was At Fault
Bad car accident crashes can cause horrific injuries to those involved. If you were in a car accident, it’s important to seek medical attention immediately, and then contact your attorney as soon as possible. However, your car injury claim can significantly benefit from your understanding of steps to take after a car accident.
Consistently keeping up with your medical treatment will help reduce any doubt about the legitimacy of your claim, and it will show all parties involved that you are serious about getting your life back to where you were before being hurt. In addition to seeking emergency medical attention and calling your lawyer when you can, you should do the following after a severe car collision:
- Report the accident to the police – The law requires that most accidents are reported, but be sure to give a full report to the police. A comprehensive police record of the incident can be used by your lawyer to clearly show how the other side was at fault.
- Keep detailed notes – It’s best to write down as much as you can about your accident as soon as possible. This will help you build a comprehensive timeline that can also help you recall other facts later on.
- Take photos – While law enforcement may be taking pictures themselves, it’s important to have images that you can share with your lawyer without delay. This includes pictures of the accident and your car injuries.
- Ask questions – Don’t hesitate to ask questions and request clarifications from your doctor, the police, or your lawyer. The better you understand what’s going on, the easier it will be for you to recover the car crash compensation that you need.
Recovering Damages From The At-Fault Party
Your lawyer will have to build a strong case to have during negotiations with the insurance companies. While this will often involve negotiating with the other driver’s insurance provider, it can also mean negotiating with your insurance if they owe you compensation at this time. The insurance companies in your road accident claim will seek to reduce their liability, and their lawyers may be ready to go to court instead of offering you a fair settlement. Your attorney must have experience in negotiations, and must also know how to successfully take your case through the court process if necessary.
Bad car crashes are sometimes complicated. No matter what the details of your wreck, your attorney will have to show fault by making clear that the other driver’s negligence directly resulted in the injuries that you sustained. While this can be difficult at times, some arguments establishing fault can be very strong if they demonstrate that the other party did certain illegal or reckless things. “No-doubt” cases often involve a settlement offer almost immediately. Be sure to speak with your lawyer before agreeing to any settlement that can quickly come from certain accidents involving:
- DUI accidents – If the other person was found to be intoxicated at the time of the accident, their insurance company might be ready to settle immediately.
- Rear-end accidents – Drivers must keep a safe distance from the car ahead of them. If you are rear-ended, the other driver will likely be found liable and also receive a citation.
- T-bone or turning accidents – These accidents can be devastating, and they often occur when the careless driver was supposed to stop or yield to you.
The Krist Law Firm, P.C. Can Help You
Proving fault after a car accident in Houston is often complicated. You may feel as though the other person is obviously at fault, but your lawyer will have to demonstrate responsibility by arguing the facts. To recover the damages that you deserve, our lawyers at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. can build you a strong case and negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf.