Working on an offshore oil rig is a great way to make a living, but it is also a risky profession. Offshore workers face the usual hazards of working with machinery, along with the added risks posed by the ocean and constant presence of flammable chemicals. Accidents involving offshore workers are not uncommon, so it’s important for you to understand the rights you have in case you get injured. If you are an injured offshore worker, a Houston offshore injury lawyer can explain the laws to you and advocate on your behalf so that you can get the compensation you deserve.
Call a Houston offshore accident lawyer from The Krist Law Firm, P.C. at (281) 283-8500 for a free case consultation.
What Laws Apply to Offshore Workers?
The rights you enjoy as an offshore worker depend on the laws that apply to your specific case. Depending on your job’s exact function, the location of your work site, and the circumstances of your injury, any of the following may apply to your case:
- Common maritime law- There are several federal statutes that may apply to your offshore injury case. That being said, there are still cases where the traditional principles of common maritime law may apply. For this reason, you should work with a lawyer who has experience in this unique area of the law.
- The Jones Act- Also known as the Merchant Marine Act of 1920, the Jones Act gives injured sailors working on an American vessel the right to receive maintenance and cure compensation. Maintenance refers to daily living expenses such as your rent, food, and basic utilities while you are unable to work. Cure refers to the medical treatments necessary to get you back into working condition.
- Longshore & Harbor Worker’s Compensation Act- This federal workers’ compensation law gives dockside workers the ability to get compensation for medical expenses and to receive disability payments after an injury.
- Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act- If you got injured while exploiting resources in the outer continental shelf and were not on a craft or vessel when the accident occurred, your compensation may be governed by this law.
What Rights Do These Laws Give Me?
There may be several laws that apply to your case, but if you are an injured offshore worker, you may have the right to:
- Legal representation- You can get the help of a lawyer to optimize your case outcome.
- Compensation for medical expenses- Your hospital stays, medical procedures, doctor visits, and even some rehab may be covered.
- Compensation for loss of earning capacity- Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be entitled to receive the pay you didn’t collect when you were unable to work.
- Compensation for living expenses- During your recovery, you may be entitled to compensation for your day-to-day living expenses.
- Use your own doctor- You can choose who will treat you for your injuries.
- Get a second medical opinion- Your employer has the right to have you submit to an independent medical exam (IME) to determine the extent of your injuries. If you disagree with the findings of the IME, you can get another report from a doctor of your choice.
How the Houston Offshore Injury Lawyers at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. Can Help
Offshore injuries may involve several different laws. If you have been injured while working offshore, you should consult with an experienced offshore accident lawyer near Houston who can guide you through the compensation process. At The Krist Law Firm, P.C., we have a proven track record of helping injured rig workers get the compensation they deserve after an accident.
Call a Houston offshore accident lawyer today at (281) 283-8500, or contact us online for a free consultation.