Firm Recognition:
Recognized as Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Texas by The National Trial Lawyers
Named Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters Business
Recognized in Best Lawyers in America publication
Recognized as Top 500 Leading Plaintiff’s Lawyers by Lawdragon Magazine
Recognized in the Texas Lawyer Top Verdicts and Settlements
Recipient of 50 Year Service Award by Houston Bar Association
Honored for Nation’s Top One Percent – NADC
Recognized as Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers
Recognized as Top 40 under 40 by The National Trial Lawyers
Recipient of the Trial Lawyers Board of Regents Litigator Award
Call today @ 281-283-8500 | No Recovery, No Fee
Call today: 281-283-8500
Legal Blog

Developing Tools to Screen Traumatic Brain Injuries

Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are a major public health concern and are a leading cause of death and disability in the United States every year. If you have been injured and sustained a mild, moderate, or severe traumatic brain injury, contact a Houston personal injury attorney with The Krist Law Firm, P.C. at (281) 283-8500 to find out how you can receive compensation for your losses.

TBIs account for approximately 30% of all injury-related deaths, and it is estimated that 1.7 million people sustain a TBI each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Of those 1.7 million cases, it is estimated that 80% are mild (commonly called concussions) and the remaining 20% are either moderate or severe. TBIs are often referred to as the “silent epidemic” because the majority of concussions go unreported and diagnosing a TBI can be challenging.

How is TBI Diagnosed?

There is no single test that can definitively confirm a TBI diagnosis. Healthcare providers use various tests to diagnose TBI, including the Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS), speech and language assessments, cognition and neuropsychological evaluations, intracranial pressure monitoring, and imaging technologies (e.g. CT, MRI, DTI, SPECT, PET). In addition to these tests, doctors review a patient’s history to collect information about the injury and symptoms as well as conduct a physical examination to diagnose a TBI.

Researchers at the University of Houston were recently awarded a $386,000 grant to develop a model for studying TBIs. The project, which will be led by the Department of Biology and Biochemistry at the university, will involve performing large-scale screens to search for possible treatments that help people recover from brain injuries. The grant will fund the study for two years, and researchers hope to discover more effective treatments for those suffering with the long-term effects of TBIs.

Leading Causes of TBI

A TBI occurs when an external physical force causes a disruption in normal brain function. Some of the most common causes include:

  • Falls
  • Being struck by or against an object
  • Motor Vehicle Accidents
  • Assault
  • Other

Signs and Symptoms of TBI

Mild TBI generally refers to a brief change in mental status or consciousness, while a severe TBI usually involves an extended period of unconsciousness of memory loss post-injury. Symptoms will vary depending on the severity of the TBI and can last for days, weeks, or even longer. Symptoms can include:

  • Difficulty thinking clearly
  • Feeling sluggish
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Memory issues
  • Headaches
  • Mood changes – irritability, anxiety, sadness
  • Nausea, dizziness, or vomiting
  • Blurred vision
  • Sensitive to noise or light
  • Feeling fatigued
  • Disrupted sleep patterns
  • Loss of balance

Symptoms may be immediate or delayed and may be difficult to notice if you are recovering from other injuries such as in the case of a motor vehicle or workplace accident

Contact an Experienced Houston Personal Injury Attorney for Help

If you have suffered a mild, moderate, or severe traumatic brain injury in an accident that was caused by the negligence or recklessness of another party, you may be entitled to compensation for past and future medical expenses, physical impairment, physical pain, mental anguish, disfigurement, and loss of earning capacity. The skilled Houston personal injury attorneys at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. have more than four decades of experience handling cases involving traumatic brain injuries, including maritime accidents, car accidents, and workplace accidents. We understand how devastating a traumatic brain injury can be to victims and their families, and we are committed to helping you obtain the compensation you deserve.

Regardless of the circumstances of your accident, we offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case. To learn more about your legal options, contact us today at (281) 283-8500 for a free initial consultation. There are no fees unless we win your case.