Firm Recognition:
Recognized as Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Texas by The National Trial Lawyers
Named Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters Business
Recognized in Best Lawyers in America publication
Recognized as Top 500 Leading Plaintiff’s Lawyers by Lawdragon Magazine
Recognized in the Texas Lawyer Top Verdicts and Settlements
Recipient of 50 Year Service Award by Houston Bar Association
Honored for Nation’s Top One Percent – NADC
Recognized as Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers
Recognized as Top 40 under 40 by The National Trial Lawyers
Recipient of the Trial Lawyers Board of Regents Litigator Award
Call today @ 281-283-8500 | No Recovery, No Fee
Call today: 281-283-8500
Legal Blog

Unmarried Partners and Wrongful Death

When a loved one passes away, it can be difficult to move on, especially when your entire life has been turned upside-down. You may have relied on the deceased for financial support, or perhaps you were romantically involved but not married. Unfortunately, the unmarried partner of a deceased person cannot file a wrongful death lawsuit in the state of Texas. However, it may be possible to get justice for your loved one if someone else files a suit.

At The Krist Law Firm, we understand how terrible losing a loved one can be. It may feel like you have no legal options. Call (281) 283-8500 today to discuss your specific case.

What is a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?

In essence, a wrongful death suit is a way for surviving relatives to seek compensation after a loved one has died in an accident. The targets of these suits are the entities responsible for the accident. The goal of a wrongful death lawsuit is to gain compensation for the survivors’ loss, which can include wages, funeral expenses, medical costs, and lost companionship.

Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?

According to Texas law, only a select number of relatives can sue for wrongful death. These relatives include the deceased’s parents, children, and married spouse. Conversely, brothers, sisters, grandparents, and unmarried romantic partners have no legal recourse when their loved one is killed in an accident. This also means that same-sex spouses are not allowed to take any legal action if their partner dies in an accident.

Filing a wrongful death suit becomes more complicated when stepparents, separations, foster parents, and adopted children are involved. Most cases allow a separated spouse to bring a suit against the perpetrator, while step-parents and foster parents may not. In addition, an adopted child may only file a lawsuit for their adopted parents, not their biological parents.

Contact The Krist Law Firm Today

Although there may be no way to file a wrongful death lawsuit if you are the unmarried spouse of the deceased, it may be possible to convince your partner’s immediate family to take legal action. While it is likely that you will not receive compensation, you will be able to rest assured knowing that those responsible for your loved one’s accident are paying the price.

If you are interested in seeking legal representation for a wrongful death suit, call (281) 283-8500 for a free consultation. At The Krist Law Firm, our injury lawyers understand how horrible it is to lose a loved one. It may feel like your life is at a standstill, and you may be suffering financially. Our Houston wrongful death lawyers have been successful in gaining compensation for those who have passed away. We will work tirelessly to get you and your family the compensation you deserve.