Wide Turning Truck Accidents
Home » Truck Accident Lawyers in Houston, TX » Types of Trucking Accidents » Wide Turning Truck Accidents
When large trucks fail to complete a turn, the other drivers on the road are put at significant risk. If you are injured as a result, it is important to contact an attorney as soon as possible.
Due to their large size and length, trucks need additional space and time to makes turns. Not only do blind spots make it more difficult for truck drivers to see other vehicles, they often encroach on adjacent lanes of traffic. Wide turn accidents can happen when vehicles attempt to pass and collide with trucks or when truckers fail to turn in a responsible and safe manner.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a wide turning truck accident or another type of large truck accident, contact an experienced Houston trucking attorney today at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. We can help you initiate a claim for compensation or file a personal injury lawsuit to recover for your losses.
Call us today at 281-283-8500 .
No-Zones and Wide Turns
One-third of all accidents between large trucks and passenger vehicles occur in the no-zone, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). No-zones are blind spots where cars disappear from the view of the truck driver. Large trucks have the following no-zones areas:
- Sides – You know you are in the no-zone if you cannot see the driver’s face in his side mirror. The largest and most dangerous no-zone area is on the truck’s right side.
- Rear – Truck drivers cannot see directly behind the vehicle.
- Front – This blind spot area can extend up to 20 feet in front of the vehicle.
- Backing up – Most tractor-trailers are at least eight-and-a-half feet wide, which can completely hide a smaller passenger vehicle.
- Wide Turns – When turning left or right, trucks will generally swing wide in the opposite direction in order to manage the turn. During turns, truck drivers may not see cars directly behind or beside them and the pathway of traffic can be partially or completely obstructed.
Dangers of Wide Right Turns
Wide turn accidents can happen whether a truck is making a left or right turn. However, the driver has significantly less visibility when turning right. The most frequent type of wide turn collision is known as the “right turn squeeze,” which is when vehicles attempt to pass on a truck’s right side while the truck is turning right.
According to statistics from the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS), the vast majority of right turn accidents involve unsafe turning behaviors by truck drivers. Unsafe turning can include the following:
- Failure to signal turn
- Swinging too widely into the left when attempting to make a right turn
- Failure to check mirrors before making a turn
- Not waiting for other vehicles to clear the intersection before attempting a turn
- Encroaching on lanes with oncoming traffic
- Failure to slow down to an appropriate speed when making a turn
Turning right is also more dangerous for large trucks and surrounding passenger vehicles because of the potential for the wheels to go onto the curb. This is because the rear wheels follow a shorter trajectory than the front wheels, which is made worse with longer vehicles. If truck drivers do not manage a right turn correctly, the wheels can go off-track and collide with fixed objects.
Liability for Wide Turn Accidents
In order to avoid wide turn collisions, truck drivers should:
- Signal to other drivers well in advance of their intention to make a turn
- Check their mirrors regularly before, during, and throughout the turn
- Wait for vehicles to clear out of the intersection so there is sufficient space and time to complete the turn
- Slow down when making a turn
If you’ve been injured in a wide turn accident due to a truck driver’s negligence, you have the right to pursue compensation for your losses through a personal injury claim. When you have suffered an injury in a collision involving a commercial truck, you will need the help of an experienced truck accident lawyer to make sure that your rights are protected and to fight for the compensation you deserve.
Knowledgeable Legal Representation for Your Truck Accident Claim
The Houston truck accident lawyers at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. pride themselves on providing sophisticated, professional, and knowledgeable representation. We work closely with our clients throughout the legal process and have litigated countless truck accident cases over the past four decades. Our track record of success includes numerous multi-million dollar cases, and we will fight for the maximum compensation possible for your injuries.
When you work with us, we will quickly investigate your accident, identify the negligent parties, and build a strong argument in support of your truck accident claim. Contact us today at 281-283-8500 . We offer a free case evaluation and there are no fees unless you obtain compensation.