If you have been seriously injured in an accident involving a tractor-trailer or 18-wheeler, you may be dealing with immense physical pain, extensive medical bills, and a prolonged recovery period. You are likely weighing your options, but may be uncertain about how to proceed. Your first step should be to speak with a skilled Houston truck accident lawyer as quickly as possible after your accident. An attorney who is experienced in handling truck accident cases will be able to advocate for your interests throughout the truck accident investigations process and give you the best chance at obtaining fair compensation for your injuries.
Call The Krist Law Firm, P.C. for a complete case evaluation. We will investigate your claim and help you obtain the compensation that will enable you to move forward with your life after a trucking accident.
Call us today at (281) 283-8500.
Investigating a Truck Accident
In any personal injury lawsuit, the plaintiff must prove that their injuries were caused by the negligence of the defendant. Truck accident claims can be more complex because multiple parties may be at fault. This is why the claims process will usually begin with your attorney conducting an investigation into the circumstances that caused your injury.
The investigation should be performed as soon as possible after the crash to preserve critical evidence. The point of the investigation is to gather and preserve evidence that will support your claim, determine possible legal claims, pinpoint the cause of the accident, and identify all responsible parties.
Steps of the Investigation
The investigative process will generally involve the following:
- Investigation of the Scene of the Accident – This could involve taking photos and videos of the accident site, debris, damage to vehicles involved or nearby structures, and any other relevant physical evidence or environmental factors.
- Reviewing the Records of the Truck Driver and Trucking Company – We will analyze the truck driver’s log books, personnel file, and driving record for possible safety violations. This also includes reviewing the trucking company’s maintenance records, driver’s qualification file, safety records, inspection reports, and equipment checks.
- Interviewing Witnesses – This involves interviewing the other driver(s) involved, first responders, and anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Obtaining Information from the Truck’s Data Recorder (also referred to as “black box”) – Most commercial trucks are equipped with an event data recorder, which can contain important data about the crash.
- Consulting with Experts When Necessary ¬– Accident reconstruction experts, life care planners, or medical providers, forensic toxicologists, or black box specialists, can be used to strengthen your claim and provide expert testimony about various aspects of your case.
- Collect Other Documentation – Medical bills/records, police accident reports, and eyewitness statements taken immediately after the accident are all important to your case.
- Examination of the Truck – The purpose of inspecting the truck after an accident is to evaluate whether there may have been an equipment failure or defect, and to assess the mechanical condition of the vehicle.
Contact a Houston Trucking Accident Lawyer As Soon As Possible
The Houston truck accident attorneys at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. have been investigating truck accidents for more than 40 years. When you work with our skilled team of attorneys, they will immediately begin investigating your accident to identify the parties responsible for your injuries and gathering key evidence to support your claim for compensation.
Whether it’s negotiating with the insurance company or taking your case to court, we have the resources and knowledge it takes to fight for the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other losses. In fact, we obtained the largest commercial trucking recovery in Texas in 2014.
Contact us today at (281) 283-8500 for a free, no-risk case evaluation.