Looking for an excuse to ride your bike? May is National Bike Month, making it the perfect opportunity to travel on two wheels to work and other destinations. National Bike Month was established in 1956 and aims to promote biking as a form of transportation and physical activity.
While bike riding is an excellent form of exercise, it can be dangerous, especially when riding near motorists. Safety is of utmost importance when riding your bike. Take some time to learn about how you can enjoy bike riding safely and avoid bicycle car accidents.
If you’ve been a victim of a bike accident, seek legal help from our Houston bicycle accident lawyer at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. Call us today at (281) 283-8500.
Put Safety First When Riding a Bike
Stay safe with these tips:
- Check your bike before you go. Don’t be left stranded on the road because your bike isn’t working. Check the tires, brakes, chains and other elements to make sure they’re working properly before you take off.
- Make sure others can see you. Keep yourself visible to others by wearing bright neon clothing. If you plan to ride at night, use reflectors on your bike and wear reflective clothing so motorists can easily see you.
- Be predictable. The roadway is not the place to practice stunts and drive erratically. Motorists have a difficult time seeing bicyclists as it is. Avoid sudden movements that could confuse others. Do not dart into the street or surprise them with your actions. Ride in a straight line and signal your intention to turn so others know what you are doing at all times.
- Keep water available for longer rides. If you’re going to be out for more than an hour, be prepared by bringing water. Bike riding can be a strenuous activity and you need to stay hydrated. Dehydration can become a serious health issue, especially if you are riding in the heat.
- Always wear a helmet. Helmets may not seem cool, but they serve a very important purpose. In the event of a crash or fall, they protect your head from trauma and brain damage. Many injuries have been prevented and lives have been saved by helmet use. They are extremely effective, preventing the risk of head injury by as much as 85 percent. Make sure your helmet is properly fitted on your head for best results.
- Use a safety device. You never know when you might come across someone who intends to harm you while riding. Many adults choose to carry pepper spray with them to ward off would-be attackers, while children may feel more comfortable with a personal alarm to signal to others that they are in danger.
Our Houston Bike Accident Attorneys Can Help You
Even if you’re riding in a safe manner, a bike accident can still happen. The aftermath can be devastating emotionally, physically, and financially. It is possible to get your life back to normal, but you’ll need legal help.
The Houston bicycle accident lawyers at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. have decades of experience handling accident claims. They can help you with your physical and financial recovery so you can move forward with life. Schedule a consultation by calling (281) 283-8500.