We’ve all heard terrifying stories of pedestrians being struck and killed while simply trying to cross the street. If you or a loved one have been injured in a traffic accident as a pedestrian, you likely have severe injuries and extreme mental anguish. You may have insurance companies calling and medical bills piling up. Call a pedestrian accident lawyer with The Krist Law Firm, P.C. today at (281) 283-8500 to discuss how you can recover compensation for your injuries.
Safety Tips for Preventing a Pedestrian-Auto Accident
A pedestrian gets injured in an auto accident approximately every seven minutes, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). From 2003-2012, more than 47,000 victims were killed in pedestrian-auto accidents. The majority of these fatal crashes occur at nighttime in urban areas. In addition, many pedestrian traffic accidents involve drunk driving or distracted driving.
Both pedestrians and drivers should exercise caution when approaching an intersection or crosswalk. However, because some drivers blatantly ignore traffic regulations, you must be diligently observant as a pedestrian. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind before stepping foot on the road:
- Always walk on a sidewalk or pedestrian path when available. If there is no clear path, stay as far away from traffic as possible.
- Do not attempt to jaywalk in the middle of the road, even when you don’t see any cars approaching in your line of sight. Vehicles can make sudden turns or speed down the street unexpectedly.
- Do not text and walk! Pedestrians distracted by electronic devices put themselves at higher risk of danger.
- Stay off of restricted-access highways and freeways. Even if an incoming vehicle sees you, they may not be able to brake in time on a highway.
- When walking at night, you should carry a flashlight and wear reflective clothing to increase visibility.
- Be wary that some ‘walk’ signals at intersections may not be functioning properly. You should always double-check the traffic light and look in both directions before proceeding.
- Never assume that a driver can see you. When you’re at a crosswalk with heavy traffic, do not start to move until all cars have fully stopped. You should also make eye contact with the driver to confirm.
Compensation for Houston Pedestrian-Auto Accidents
Houston regularly ranks as one of the most dangerous U.S. cities for pedestrians, with the second highest number of pedestrian deaths in a single decade, according to National Complete Streets Coalition. Multiple fatal accidents have occurred on the 610 South Loop and FM 1960. The aftermath of a pedestrian-auto accident can be devastating. If you or a loved one suffered a serious injury due to someone else’s negligence, they may be held financially responsible for your damages.
We have successfully helped many clients recover past and future compensation for the following:
- Medical costs
- Loss of earning capacity
- Physical pain
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
How a Houston Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Some pedestrian-auto cases may be difficult to prove, especially when it involves a hit-and-run. That’s why you will need a knowledgeable Houston pedestrian accident lawyer by your side to guide you through the entire legal process. The dedicated team of personal injury attorneys at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. offers decades of experience in handling a variety of motor vehicle-related accidents.
We can assess your individual situation, gather documents of proof, and prepare a legal claim for compensation. Call The Krist Law Firm, P.C. today at (281) 283-8500 to schedule your free consultation with a skilled Houston pedestrian accident lawyer.