Oilfield Equipment Injuries in Houston, TX
Severe — and even fatal — oilfield accidents happen during oil and gas extraction operations here in Texas for a variety of reasons.
Oilfield accidents are often the result of a wide variety of safety violations or other negligent actions, which often entail the use of oilfield equipment, vehicles, pipelines, storage devices and other factors. Workers injured in these types of accidents may have options for compensation that the Houston maritime lawyers at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. can explain and help you pursue.
Workers who are injured in oilfield incidents are often injured far worse than workers in other industries because of the intrinsically hazardous nature of the work. Oilfield accidents involving spills of hazardous chemicals, electrocutions, fires, explosions, blowouts, and leaks can result in serious harm to workers.
Because oil field and rig workers handle heavy equipment and high-speed machinery on a daily basis, the potential for severe injuries and even death is nearly always present. Negligent practices like inadequate training, lax adherence to safety regulations, equipment failures, and poor employee training compound these risks, which can lead to devastating consequences for oilfield workers and their families.
Common Injuries Caused by Oilfield Equipment
Oilfield and oil rig injuries are often quite severe and can lead to permanent harm, physical limitations, or death. Some of the most common types of injuries resulting from oilfield accidents include:
- Head injury, including mild, moderate, or severe traumatic brain injury
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Loss of limbs via amputation or crushing injuries
- Broken bones
- Burn injuries and electrocution
- Exposure to toxic chemicals
Causes of Oilfield Equipment Failure
There are many different types of technical equipment that are used in oilfields and on oil rigs, where workers are exposed to risk every day. Unfortunately, Houston oilfield equipment accidents and injuries caused by mechanical failure are quite common. Oilfield equipment failures may occur because of a number of factors, including:
- Improper use by oilfield or rig-based workers
- Metal fatigue or corrosion
- Inadequate maintenance or infrequent safety inspections
- Overstress caused by too much use or long periods of use
- Welding defects that may lead to stress fractures
- Design defects
- Manufacturing defects
The safety of oilfield and oil rig workers can only be established if the equipment that these workers are using is maintained properly by the oil company and is always in good working order whenever it is used.
Common Causes of Houston Oilfield Accidents
Oilfield accidents can have many causes and are often attributed to:
- Failure to adhere to safety standards, procedures and protocols
- Failure to properly communicate new or established safety procedures to workers
- Failure to engage employees at all levels in appropriate safety training
- Failure to protect visitors and manage transit through a job site
- Failure to replace, maintain, or repair faulty equipment
- Delays in inspecting equipment and initiating repairs
- Improper construction or installation of equipment
- Cracks and fissures in oil lines, pipelines, and other means of fluid transport
- Cracks and fissures in regularly used storage units such as tanks, trucks, or deposits
- Unsuitable storage of hazardous fluids or waste materials
- Failure to outfit workers with safety equipment such as helmets, containment suits, and goggles
- Failure to provide and maintain fire suppression equipment
If you have been injured in an oilfield accident, don’t delay in contacting a knowledgeable Houston maritime accident attorney who has the needed experience to investigate the cause behind any serious accident, including injuries that occur on oilfields and oil rigs.
How The Houston Oilfield Accident Lawyers at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. Can Help
At The Krist Law Firm, P.C., our Houston petrochemical injury law firm has won many cases involving a broad range of oil industry accidents. In addition to our extensive legal experience, we also have the resources and skills to tackle large and sometimes obstinate companies such as oil, gas, and other energy companies.
Our personal injury lawyers work frequently with accidents involving oilfields and oil rigs so we take action immediately to investigate whether such an accident may have occurred due to negligence. Our investigations into negligence by oil companies are just one part of a multifaceted approach to oilfield accident lawsuits that include medical assessments, as well as examination of any perceived safety issues and any other factors that may have caused an oil and gas extraction operation to bring harm to another person, either through negligence or intentional actions.
Our Houston maritime lawyers have extensive experience with oil and gas-related accidents throughout the state of Texas. Call us today at 281-283-8500 to receive a free initial consultation. Once we determine how we can help, we will start our investigation into the causes of your accident. There are no fees unless we recover compensation for your injuries.
Measuring liability can be challenging in cases involving oilfield and oil rig accidents. That’s why we really put in the time to understand the laws and liability issues around these types of accidents, in the event a lawsuit is necessary to pursue fair compensation for your major injury incurred on an oilfield.