Firm Recognition:
Recognized as Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Texas by The National Trial Lawyers
Named Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters Business
Recognized in Best Lawyers in America publication
Recognized as Top 500 Leading Plaintiff’s Lawyers by Lawdragon Magazine
Recognized in the Texas Lawyer Top Verdicts and Settlements
Recipient of 50 Year Service Award by Houston Bar Association
Honored for Nation’s Top One Percent – NADC
Recognized as Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers
Recognized as Top 40 under 40 by The National Trial Lawyers
Recipient of the Trial Lawyers Board of Regents Litigator Award
Call today @ 281-283-8500 | No Recovery, No Fee
Call today: 281-283-8500
Legal Blog

Is a Ship’s Registration Important in a Maritime Case?

If you were hurt on a cargo boat, call a maritime lawyer from our firm for help.

There are countless ways that someone can be injured in a maritime accident. If you find yourself in this situation, you may be unsure about your legal options moving forward. It can often be difficult to identify the exact cause of an injury that happens on the water. Additionally, there are many instances where people are harmed while in foreign waters or on a ship registered under another country’s laws. A skilled Houston maritime lawyer will understand how the details of your case will apply to your ability to recover damages after an injury. At The Krist Law Firm, P.C., we have helped many people after they suffered harm while on the water, and we know how important a timely financial recovery is to you during this difficult time.

To speak with one of our attorneys, contact us today at (281) 283-8500 to schedule a free evaluation of your case.

Injuries Sustained While on The Job

The Jones Act is a federal law that establishes the rights of maritime workers to recover damages from an injury that occurs at work. It lists the safety requirements that employers must follow, and it allows for an injured worker to recover compensation for many things that are not covered by ordinary workers’ compensation. However, the shipping, energy, and tourism industries can be complex, and it’s often uncertain who is the negligent party when someone gets hurt while working at sea. What if your employer is a foreign company, and your ship may is registered outside of the United States? Is it possible to recover compensation in these situations?

Our maritime lawyers understand that each accident at sea is unique. The Jones Act is meant to protect maritime workers, and it allows compensation to be sought in many different situations. Of the many scenarios in which you may be wondering if you can collect damages, some of them may involve injuries sustained on:

US-Registered Ships
Under The Jones Act, you can file a lawsuit against an employer based in the U.S. If you were injured during the scope of your work as a seaman.

Foreign-Registered Ship
It can be challenging for you to recover damages from a negligent person or company in a foreign country. In order to receive Jones Act compensation, you must have been injured on a boat owned and operated by an individual or company based in the U.S.

Your injury case will likely have different details than the above scenarios. A skilled maritime injury lawyer will understand how to find all parties involved in your accident, and then determine the best way to proceed in seeking the compensation you deserve. Given the complexity of these types of cases, it’s important that you contact your lawyer as soon as possible after being hurt while working at sea.

Steps You Can Take to Win Your Maritime Case

Your Houston personal injury attorney will have to research the details of your employment and accident in order to build a strong case. There are many things that you can do to help make this process as easy as possible, including:

  • Seek medical attention immediately after an injury.
  • Call your maritime lawyer without delay.
  • Inform your employer about the injury, and ask them for a copy of their report
  • Write down every detail that you can think of regarding your accident.
  • Obtain contact information from those who witnessed your accident or had something to do with it.
  • Do not sign anything regarding your injury or make any statements about the situation before speaking to your attorney.

A Maritime Lawyer Can Help

An accident at sea can be devastating, and laws regarding these types of injuries are unlike those governing other accidents. For this reason, it is important to have an experienced maritime lawyer from The Krist Law Firm, P.C. working for you if you or a loved one has been hurt at sea. A ship being registered in a foreign country will not result in an inability for you to recover the compensation that you deserve. However, dealing with a mixture of foreign and domestic employers and insurance providers can be very complex, and it requires knowledgeable maritime legal help.

Contact us at (281) 283-8500 to schedule a free, initial case consultation today.