Thousands of car accident victims are injured in the Houston area every year. Being in one of these wrecks may extended medical attention. Moreover, you might not be able to work or enjoy other normal activities for a long time afterward. As the victim of a car accident, you have the right to seek compensation from the negligent party. However, things can get confusing if you were injured in a car crash while driving for work. Having an experienced and aggressive Houston work injury lawyer will help you obtain the damages that you need to get better. Your legal counsel must be familiar with Texas’ personal injury laws In conjunction with understanding how our state’s workers’ compensation system might apply to your case.
Do not delay in calling an experienced work injury lawyer if you have been hurt in a car accident while on the job. The Krist Law Firm, P.C. has helped many injury victims in your position. To speak with one of our Houston personal injury lawyers today, call (281) 283-8500 or contact us online.
We offer free consultations and do not charge fees up-front. We are not paid unless you recover damages.
Does TX Workers’ Comp cover car Accidents?
Most employers in Texas are required to purchase workers’ compensation insurance for employees hurt on the job. This is meant to provide financial help for things like medical bills and lost wages after an accident. As a no-fault system, an injured person does not have to prove who was at fault for their injury to receive financial help. They must simply demonstrate that they were hurt while in the course of their employment. A knowledgeable workers’ comp lawyer can help you get the most out of this complex system. This involves documenting and presenting the financial losses you incurred, including medical bills, lost wages, and future need for disability assistance.
Workers’ compensation laws are not meant to cover everyone and every circumstance. For example, many contract workers, domestic servants, and agricultural workers are not covered. Additionally, it must be shown that your accident happened while you were doing something work-related. This can get very complicated after a work-related car accident, and your lawyer may have to fight to make sure that you are not deprived of damages that you desperately need.
Some examples where workers’ compensation can help you after a car crash include:
- Your accident happened while making deliveries or running an errand for work
- You were driving another employee for a work-related purpose
- If you drive for a living
- If your employer pays you for the travel time between work and home
Compensation After A Car Crash At Work
It can take significant time and medical attention to return to work after an accident. If you are in an accident while driving for work, it’s important to seek emergency medical help without delay. After this, contact a knowledgeable injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer will understand your specific needs for compensation, and apply their experience with work accidents to get you the help you deserve. If you are not covered by workers’ comp, your lawyer can file a personal injury claim to pursue damages. It’s also possible to file such a claim while seeking workers’ compensation at the same time. These third-party lawsuits seek damages from a negligent party who is not affiliated with your employment. Every situation is unique, but potential damages after a work-related car accident may include:
- Medical expenses – Workers’ compensation allows for your medical bills to be covered, but your employer will be allowed to choose your doctor. A personal injury claim outside of the workers’ comp system can allow you to recover medical costs for visits with the doctors of your choice.
- Lost wages – Workers’ comp allows for income benefits to be paid if you are required to miss work. These payments are calculated differently than compensation for lost wages that can be recovered in an ordinary personal injury action.
- Pain and emotional distress – Filing an injury claim outside of workers’ compensation allows for pain and suffering damages to be recovered. Texas’ worker’ comp system does not provide for pain and emotional distress.
Steps To Take After A Work Related Car Accident
Accidents on the job happen every day, and many Houston residents end up seriously injured or even killed. A traffic accident can be particularly serious. If possible, seek safety in the immediate aftermath of a car accident. The scene of your wreck can be very dangerous. Debris and moving traffic can pose dangers to you and your passengers. It’s important to understand that you may still be in danger in the moments after a collision on the road. Once you get to safety, be sure to do the following:
- Call for help – Call 911 and seek emergency medical attention for you and anyone else who may be hurt.
- Cooperate with police and first responders – Make sure to tell police about the accident details as you remember them. You are legally required to report most traffic accidents.
- Call your lawyer – Do not delay in calling a lawyer who is experienced in traffic accidents and workplace injuries. A lawyer can help you with every step of the process to recover compensation.
- Report your accident to your employer – Inform your employer of your accident as soon as possible. Be sure to seek a copy of their report regarding your crash and any injuries.
- Follow through with your medical care – Take your doctor’s advice seriously and follow through on your treatment. Make sure your doctor knows you were hurt in a work-related accident.
The Krist Law Firm, P.C. Can Help After A Work-Related Car Accident
Recovering damages after a car accident can be difficult and confusing for anyone. It’s difficult to know what to do, and who owes you compensation. Your case can also be made more complicated if your accident happened while driving for work. Be sure to contact a skilled work injury lawyer as soon as possible after seeking medical attention and alerting your employer. At The Krist Law Firm, P.C., we have decades of experience helping Houston car accident and work injury victims. Let us handle your recovery.
To speak with an experienced Houston accident lawyer, contact us today. We can help you understand your options for recovering the financial help you need during this time.