Houston’s Bayport Terminal handles tons of cargo every day. The terminal and surrounding Bayport Industrial Districts host thousands of full time and part time workers. These facilities along with the rest of the Port of Houston are extremely important to the economy of Texas.
Many port workers face dangerous conditions when handling cargo or maintaining trucks and ships. Injuries are unfortunately common at facilities such as Bayport Terminal. The harm sustained after a work accident can be devastating, and it may be impossible to return to normal life.
Do not delay in contacting an experienced Houston injury attorney if you or a loved one have been injured at Bayport Terminal. Your case may be complex, and it’s understandable for anyone to be uncertain about what steps to take during a recovery.
The Krist Law Firm, P.C. has been representing injured Texas workers for decades and helped to recover millions in compensation. To speak with one of our Houston accident attorneys, call (281) 283-8500 today. Initial consults are always free and we only get paid when you recover compensation
Have You Been Injured At Bayport Terminal
We strongly advise you seek medical attention as soon as possible after sustaining an injury while at work. However, many accident scenes remain very dangerous in the moments following an injury. The area around you may be littered with dangerous debris, noxious chemicals, and there could be a treat of fire. After getting to safety, be sure to:
- Contact emergency help – Make sure that you, a coworker, or supervisor calls 911. Even if you are able to walk away from your accident, it’s important to get medical help as soon as possible.
- Call your lawyer – The compensation process after a work injury is complex, and you have to make sure you secure all the damages you need. Contact an experienced workplace and maritime injury lawyer without delay.
- Speak with your supervisor – Your lawyer can help make sure that your injury is reported properly. Keep communication open with your work supervisor, and save all the documentation you receive.
- Take your injuries seriously – Do not put off follow up visits with your doctors. Taking an injury seriously will improve your likelihood of a full recovery and make it easier to secure financial compensation.
Common Injuries At Container Terminals
Bayport Terminal is where some of the Houston area’s most skilled laborers work every day. While there are numerous safety measures in place to prevent accidents, there still remains the constant threat of harm to workers.
In February of 2020 a worker was killed at Bayport Terminal in a crane accident. Cranes, vehicles, cargo containers, and hazardous materials will constantly be a threat to safety for any work area like Bayport.
Some of the most common injuries at cargo ports include:
- Damaged joints
- Broken and fractured bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Organ damage
- Lost limbs
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Damaged spinal cords
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Fatal injuries
How A Lawyer Can Help You
Every injury case is complex, and it may be difficult to understand the right path forward as you seek compensation. For this reason it’s very important that you find knowledgeable legal counsel without delay.
Your medical bills can add up quickly, and you may be uncertain about your future ability to work and earn a living. State and federal laws and regulations govern workers’ rights at docks and transportation terminals. Your lawyer must understand what laws apply to your case.
Working at Bayport Terminal may qualify you for compensation under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act. To be covered by this law, the majority of your duties must be considered to be maritime related.
On the other hand, you may instead be covered by the Jones Act. This federal law applies to workers who spend a majority of their time on navigable waters. Both of these federal laws are similar to state workers’ compensation programs. Knowing if federal or state workers’ law apply to your case requires having an attorney who has experience representing injured workers in your field.
Our staff has represented many workers injured in maritime and industrial accidents. While every case is different, some of the damages you may qualify for include:
- Medical bills – You can recover damages for current and future medical bills that you will need due to your injury.
- Lost wages – Our legal team knows how to demonstrate that an injured employee needs to recover compensation for lost work. This can also include lost future earning potential.
- Pain and suffering – While not possible under workers’ compensation, you can recover damages in some cases for pain, suffering, and emotional distress. Your lawyer will understand if this applies to your case.
The Krist Law Firm Can Help If You Have Been Hurt At Bayport Terminal
Bayport Terminal is a bustling and integral part of the Port of Houston. Thousands of people are here every day, and there are unfortunately many workers hurt on the job.
Work injuries can be complex, but you do not have time to wait around for compensation. You need an experienced maritime and workers’ compensation lawyer representing you and your family. Do not delay in contacting legal counsel after a serious injury while on the job.
Contact The Krist Law Firm, P.C. to discuss your options after being hurt at Bayport Terminal. Our lawyers have helped many injury victims throughout the Houston area. Call our office today at (281) 283-8500.