There are a variety of common terms that often arise in a personal injury case. Since it’s important to be as educated as possible when filing a personal injury claim, we’ve compiled a glossary of personal injury terms you may hear.
If you suffer an injury due to the negligence of another individual, it is in your best interest to contact a Houston personal injury lawyer at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. today. We can help you seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
Contact us at (281) 283-8500 to schedule a free case assessment.
Common Personal Injury Terms
- Accident Report – An accident report is usually written by a police officer and serves as a formal recording of what happened in an accident.
- Claim Adjuster – A claim adjustor is a liaison between the insured and the insurance company. Their role is to investigate and oversee the claim on behalf of the insurance company they work for.
- Contingency Fee – If a personal injury claim is won, a lawyer may receive a contingency fee, which is a sum of money that awards them for their work.
- Damages – Damages are monetary payments that are recovered from an injury caused by another party’s negligence.
- Defendant – The party who was negligent and caused the accident is the defendant.
- Duty of Care – The legal responsibility of an individual or entity to avoid any behaviors that could reasonably be foreseen to harm others is known as the duty of care.
- Evidence – Evidence is information used to support or prove a case.
- Expert Witness – An expert witness lends their expertise in a given field to support a party’s case.
- Liability – Liability is a legal obligation one party has to another.
- Legal of Protection – A legal of protection letter is sent by a personal injury lawyer to a healthcare professional to permit an injured individual to receive the medical care they currently cannot afford on credit with the promise to pay for services.
- Loss – Loss is the monetary value assigned to an injury or damage in a personal injury claim.
- Medical Malpractice – Medical malpractice arises when a doctor, nurse, or another healthcare professional performs their duties in a negligent manner and causes a patient to suffer injury.
- Negligence – The failure to provide a reasonable duty of care to another, resulting in harm to an individual or property.
- Personal Injury – Personal injury is the area of law, which covers physical, emotional, and financial injuries caused by another party’s negligence.
- Plaintiff – The victim of the accident is referred to as the plaintiff.
- Statute of Limitations – The time frame where affected parties have the legal right to take action and file a personal injury claim is called the statute of limitations.
- Wrongful Death – A wrongful death claim is designed to compensate the family members of someone who has lost their life due to someone else’s negligent behavior.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer at The Krist Law Firm, P.C
Suffering because of someone else’s negligence can leave you with large medical bills and significant pain and suffering. If you have sustained an injury because of someone else, you should contact a personal injury lawyer at The Krist Law Firm, P.C. For a no-cost consultation, contact us at (281) 283-8500 today.