Truck accidents are more common than ever. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, there were over 4,000 fatal truck accidents in 2015 alone, and the frequency of these crashes has increased by 20 percent since 2009. If you have been involved in a truck accident, it is likely that you have sustained serious injuries that present physical and financial challenges.
At The Krist Law Firm, P.C., our skilled Houston truck accident lawyers are dedicated to helping you seek compensation for your injuries. With our help, you can file a successful personal injury lawsuit.
Call us today at (281) 283-8500 to find out what we can do for you.
Things You Should Know in a Truck Accident Case
Commercial vehicle accident claims can be complex. They involve negotiations with powerful companies and the use of evidence that can be difficult to obtain. Expert witnesses are typically needed in truck accident cases to prove aspects of negligence, liability, and recovery. Truck accident claims can be confusing, so it’s important to have a knowledgeable Houston trucking accident lawyer by your side throughout the process.
Listed below are facts that could impact your truck accident case:
- Driving RequirementsInterstate truck drivers are not allowed to drive for more than 11 hours during a consecutive period of 14 hours, and this is only allowed after the driver has been off-duty for at least 10 hours. Not following these rules can lead to liability for accidents.
- Silence is KeyAfter you are involved in an accident, you may be contacted by either your own insurance or the insurance of the trucking company. If this happens, it is important that you do not say anything. Instead, contact a lawyer for a consultation. Even answering small talk questions can destroy your chances of receiving a financial settlement.
- Truck Driver TrainingWhat many people do not realize is that truck drivers are trained to avoid liability in the event of an accident. They may try to convince you that the accident was your fault, or make a false report to police before you have had a chance to compose yourself.
- Intentional MisconductDriving under the influence, road rage, and deliberate attacks are all examples of misconduct that can lead to a roadway collision. A truck driver may try to run someone off the road. They might also engage in unsafe activities, such as texting while driving.
- Statute of LimitationsIf you are hurt in a truck accident, you only have a certain amount of time to take legal action. In fact, the Texas statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits is two years. This means that you have two years from the time your injuries are discovered to file a lawsuit.
- The Dangers of Driving in TexasAccording to the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT), Texas is the most dangerous state in the union when it comes to commercial truck accidents. There are nearly 16,000 of these collisions each year, or almost twice the national average.
- Types of Financial AwardsWhile you can seek compensation for standard losses, such as medical costs and loss of earning capacity, you can also branch out when filing a personal injury lawsuit. Additional awards in truck accident cases often include physical pain, mental anguish, physical limitations, disfigurement, and more.
Contact The Krist Law Firm, P.C. Today
When you are hurt in a truck accident, the best thing you can do is stay informed. Whether you plan on seeking a settlement from an insurance company or suing a trucking fleet in court, it is important to understand how you can maximize your financial award. With the help of the skilled Houston truck accident attorneys at The Krist Law Firm, P.C., you can effectively navigate the legal system. They will handle the technical aspects of your case while you focus on recovery.
To discover the best course of action for your case, call (281) 283-8500 for a free consultation.